Tuesday, November 22, 2011

tomato soup.



Tomato soup. A delicious hearty and healthy meal, appreciated even more so on cold November days. I canned a lot of whole tomatoes in August, but hadn't used a single jar until this weekend. I feel like tomato season is officially good and done now that I've ripped up the plants from the garden. Permission to open the preserves granted!



I wanted a basic recipe, so I looked at the above one from the Joy of Cooking, and this one from Martha. Then I added on from there. 


There's something fantastic about the smell of butter and onions cooking together. Even if onions consistently make me cry every time I chop them up. It's worth it.


This photo has nothing to do with tomato soup, but I just wanted to point out my cute tiny cactus. I love cacti, they're impossible to kill. And Sookie doesn't try to eat them. You can also see the adorable Le Creuset honey pot that Amanda gave us.


Et voila! Tomato soup.

I love making soup because I find that as long as you start with some butter, onions, and garlic, you can do almost anything else and get delicious results.

This particular soup contained:

a big 1L jar of canned whole tomatoes
1 big yellow onion
2 cloves of garlic 
5 tbsp of butter (why not?)


pureed the onions and garlic after I'd softened them in the butter for 20 minutes, and pureed the tomatoes before adding them to the pot. Then I threw in:


4 cups of vegetable stock
about 1/2 cup quinoa
about 1/2 cup barley 
diced carrots
some paprika
oregano
salt and pepper
and chopped basil and spinach at the last minute.


And brought it all to a boil, then let it simmer for about 20 minutes with the lid half on.

Delish. Best served with a crusty piece of bread spread with goat cheese and topped with some chutney. The smell of this soup was much appreciated when I warmed it up for lunch at school the next day.

2 comments:

Danielle said...

Yum! Nothing like simple recipes from the joy of cooking-such good basics to build on. The version I have has recipes in there for cooking possum and squirrel. I haven't tried those yet :P

Amanda said...

That looks SO GOOD!! My whole tomatoes are also still unused (although I did eat the salsa and pasta sauce, which, as you know, I thoroughly enjoyed). This looks like as good a use as any for them :)

And glad my honey pot made an appearance. Am I making this up, or did we find the cute tiny cactus together? Wasn't it at that place on Queen West that had a pet shop in the back? And it was pouring. And there were those two sweet lil doggies! Wow, this is very impressive that I can remember all of these details.

Related Posts with Thumbnails