Wednesday, October 10, 2018

Oh hi. Slow Fashion October Style Assessment.



It's "Slow Fashion October", an event-type thing Karen Templer of Fringe Association created. A month to assess your wardrobe, your style, your consumption of clothing, etc etc. 

I haven't posted on this here ol' blog in FOUR YEARS! But I find it easier to do this kind of thing on my computer vs. in a notebook. So here I am. This post is for my own sake. And maybe posterity's sake too. 

As I've been either pregnant or nursing a child for the past 4.75 (ah!!) years, I feel a major disconnect with a lot of my clothing. For 20 months of the past 4ish years I was pregnant and could wear barely any of my usual stuff. And then there's the postpartum phase, and then the breast feeding (which doesn't make it practical to wear most dresses, and other outfits that restrict boob access). Oh, and I've been too busy raising children, catching up on sleep, washing dishes, going to the park, and chasing toddlers (as well as attempting to help run a business) to focus on making clothes for myself in the same way I was before I had kids. 

Moral of the story: I need to revamp/seriously look at my wardrobe. I have been on a few binges of ordering fast fashion stuff online to accommodate my in between weird body phases, and I'm sick of it! I need to nail down my personal style so I can 
a) make clothing for myself and KNOW I'm going to wear it. No time to experiment with questionable styles/fabrics that I just won't wear
b) purchase ethically made/second hand clothing to fill in any gaps, and that will be hard-wearing wardrobe staples. 




First step: Answer these discussion prompts that Karen posted.

Do you have a colour palette? 
Kinda. Mostly blues, greys, muted greens, rusts, mustard, etc. I do like more vibrant colours too, and used to wear more of them back in the day (I loved my bright pink pants!). I'd like to interject some more fun colour, but maybe mostly in accessories as I definitely reach for neutrals more frequently.

Whose style inspires you; do you have a muse or icon?
Jenny Gordy of Wiksten is a major style inspiration. I like her casual yet put together style. Kinda sporty, kinda preppy, kinda classic but also modern. And comfortable/practical.

Is there a brand you’re always drawn to, for their clothes and/or how they put them together? Why?
I feel like a combo of Madewell (very rarely purchase, but was on their site earlier this week)  + Toast (previous seasons, maybe not recent seasons) + Elizabeth Suzann + Mina Perhonen. I like the mixed vintage layered fun vibe of Madewell, and the classic shapes and quality of Toast, the simplicity, purity and timelessness of Elizabeth Suzann, and the whimsy and pattern design of Mina Perhonen.

What shapes and styles of garments work best for you, your life and your body?
- loose fitting tops - easy to move in, plus I get hot and sweaty easily, so they allow more air flow
- I like simple tops: t-shirts, stylish takes on the classic sweatshirt, cardigans, loose boy-friend type sweaters
- I generally prefer a high neckline - crew necks on tees etc
- all about the highrise jeans, but I'd like to move away from super duper fitted skinny jeans all the time. But I have yet to find a looser jean that I like
- I do like dresses, and when I wear a dress I think I generally like to have a fitted waist (whether it's belted or not) but I still prefer an over all loose comfortable fit. 
- cozy loose fitting jackets/cardigans/etc for layering

What are your clothing pet peeves? (lengths, necklines, sleeve types …)
- boat necks (usually)
- I dislike most collared shirts (unless the collar is small, then it's ok - I don't like the look of big collars on me)
- I like the idea of cropped pants, but I think I've been scarred by a childhood of wearing pants that were too short to actually enjoy wearing them
- super fitted tops, especially in the arm pit. A revelation in my life was the realizing the joy of wearing loose fitting tops. Don't know if I can ever go back.

What is your favourite garment or outfit (right now or always) and why?
This week I really enjoyed wearing my long sleeved Everlane black and white striped boxy tee with my gap denim overalls, with my reebok sneakers or vans. And my Aritzia red and black wool jacket. It's very comfortable, and I feel kind of cool-ish, but casual and chill at the same time. That jacket always makes me feel good. I always get compliments on it. Plus it's so easy to wear.

What is the image you would like to project with your clothing?
Cool mum. Ha! But actually. I don't want to be frumpy mum. I'd like to come across as pretty timeless looking, but with a sense of style and a tiny bit of trendiness interjected (e.g. basic shapes, but maybe a fun sneaker, or hat, or jacket).

Can you describe your style in five adjectives?
Casual, comfortable, classic, simple, fun


What showed up in your mood board that surprised you?
Not much! I think I know what I like. Though I did look at an older style board I've had for awhile (which still feels accurate in terms of capturing my style) and there were more dresses than I'd have thought. 

What’s an example of something you own and love (had to have!) but never wear, and why not?
A pair of black leather ankle boots from Clark's. They're totally classic and comfy, but they feel too fancy for 98% of my life. Because of where I work and what I do most of the time (go to the park, walk the dog, etc) they just don't feel practical. And they have a heel, and being 5'9'' I don't feel the need to be any taller. But I don't regret buying them because they are super classic and I know I'll be glad to have them on the 1 night a year that I need to be fancy when it's chilly out.



No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails