Monday, July 13, 2009

Tanya Aguiniga




I came across Tanya Aguiniga on designsponge today. So awesome! She's a textile and furniture designer (and maker) from LA. Her stuff is pretty superb and a lot of it is done in materials I'm familiar with. The felting process is something I'd considered incorporating this past semester into my furniture pieces, but I didn't get around to it. I love how she felted directly onto such recognizable chairs (those folding chairs are so ubiquitous and uninteresting in their natural state!). I'm very impressed with her, and what she's accomplished is something I aspire to.

I feel like I've been in a crafty rut lately. I don't know what I've been doing, but I've been tres busy. I keep meaning to make myself some more skirts, and attempt a dress, but I lack the motivation. Plus Erick and I just signed up at the fancy gym down the street, and I feel like I should be going there instead of crafting. I should actually head over there now. Its sweet, they have fans and tvs built into the ellipticals. I really should go too, living with Erick = eating more than I would if I were on my own. Every meal is an event.

I will have time to do these crafty things soon since he'll be in TO for 3 weeks working at St.Mike's. Here are some things I want to think about/do in crafty land:
- weave. either make myself a weaving machine thing (those things have names right? a weaver? a loom? my mind is blank), or buy one cheap somewhere.
- knit. probably a scarf in a cool pattern, or maybe something more 3 dimensional
- learn to crochet already!!!!! i've been meaning to do this forever. but who will teach me?
- think about a design for a bag. the Art Gallery of Hamilton has a charity event every year called "Sacks and the City" and they auction off purses and bags donated by companies and craftspeople. The woman in charge of it asked if I knew of anyone who made bags, and I volunteered myself. Could be fun!!
- think furniture. come up with some concepts for next year. think about the bar stool I'll have to design and build in the fall.

ok, NOW i must go to the gym.

1 comment:

Kerri said...

Oooh, I love Tanya Aguiniga. I came across her desgins last summer, which is what got me super excited for felt making. Her chairs got me wanting to felt a bicycle. Not sure how practical that would be though.
Good luck with the crafty plans...if you learn to crochet between now and the time school starts, you must teach me. Perhaps in the living room of my new home, by the fire!

Related Posts with Thumbnails