Monday, August 29, 2011

a peach galette. yum!



I LOVE peaches. They are so sweet and delicious right now. I've been buying at least 1 basket a week and eating them on my cereal, in smoothies, on ice cream, and just straight out of my hand.

Last week I decided to make some into a peach galette. Galettes are awesome. They're basically just like a pie, but even easier to make. I made a delicious savory zucchini and ricotta galette last year, and had yet to make a sweet version. I used this as the basis of my recipe.



Take a bunch of peaches (maybe 6-8), peel them, and cut them into slices. Mix in sugar, cinnamon, corn starch, salt, and vanilla.



Roll out some dough to about an 1/8th of an inch thick. I used some pâte brisée that I had in the freezer left over from when I made a rhubarb pie. It's a simple multi-functional pie dough.




Transfer your rolled out dough to a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Then dump your tasty peaches into the middle of it. Fold the crust over the fruit. Brush the dough with some buttermilk, and sprinkle with sugar. I had some buttermilk in the fridge leftover from wedding cake making, but it had gone bad. So I just skipped this part.



Bake in the oven at 350F for 30 minutes or so.



And peaches like cream, so if you want to you can whip up some whipping cream and plop a dollop of that on top. YUM.

Peach Galette

1 pie crust
6-8 large freestone peaches
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
2 tablespoons cornstarch
pinch salt
1 tablespoon buttermilk
granulated sugar

Preheat oven to 350F and line a baking sheet with parchment.


6 comments:

Danielle said...

I love homemade pie but hate fussing with the upper crust- why have I never discovered this before?? I'm excited to try making these soon :)

roisin said...

I'm totally making this at some point this week, or spontaneously showing up at your house after work one night...

Lisa PN said...

oh my goodness, now that looks amazing!
i might have to find the time to make it this weekend!
Amazing!

Hollie said...

this looks awesome. totally making it.

Kate Hunter said...

It's so easy! And Roisin, you're welcome to show up anytime you want, but FYI there is zero galette left. It was consumed in 2 days.

Kyle said...

Thanks for the idea Kate. Had enough peaches for two galettes, neither of which turned out as well as yours did. Just means I'll eat them faster.

Related Posts with Thumbnails