Thursday, January 6, 2011
making pasta, featuring Erick, the pasta maker extraordinaire!
1. make a well on your counter out of 2 cups of flour. crack 3 eggs into the well and add a pinch of salt
2. whisk the eggs together with a fork, then slowly start incorporating the flour
3. once it starts getting doughy, knead it for 10 minutes. (edit: then cover it up and let it rest for 20 minutes-ish)
4. find a handy dandy never been used pasta maker at value village. break the dough into 4 or so pieces, flatten them out a bit, then feed them through the roller on the widest setting. fold dough, and feed through again on same setting. repeat again. then feed through again on a lower setting, and again, decreasing the setting width each time.
5. feed through the fettuccine maker to make fettuccine!
6. hang to dry for 15-20 minutes. or maybe you can just throw it in the pot. i'm not sure if the drying part really matters if you're going to use it immediately.
7. make a tasty pasta out of your fettuccine with mushrooms, homemade pesto, some of the wine you've been drinking, and cheese (goat cheese, brie, cream cheese, whatever you have!)